|Pilot Bay, Mt. Maunganui, Tauranga, NZ|
|Mount Wharf, Tauranga, N.Z. 5661|
Although very popular the boulder pier did not remain in service for very long, by 1894 there was a general demand for a bigger and better wharf at Mount Maunganui and on January 17, 1895 the Pilot Bay wharf situated also on Mauao itself, but a little westward of the boulder pier, was opened.
The stone wharf fell into disuse but was to remain as a memorial to the volunteers who built it.